Tuesday 27 July 2010

Old Harry's Rocks

Old Harry's Rocks are some chalk pinnacles near Swanage. They are all that remain of an old chalk bridge that used to connect the Isle of Wight to the mainland. Over time the sea dug away at the chalk, forming caves and arches which would eventually collapse, leaving pinnacles such as old Harry's Rocks, which would eventually wear away them selves.
Old Harry is apprenlty either the devil, or an old pirate from the area, no one is quite sure exactly.

Denise get cautious near the edge of the cliff.

This was a mightly scary pathy on a very thin arch with huge drops on both sides. Sensibly, the others declined to venture onto it.

Of course, foolishly, I had to test my balancing skills ! The next bit was pretty scary, and after that, not even I was foolish enough enough to go further.







1 comment:

Graeme said...

you crazy guy!!!!! but seriously, what beautiful cliffs. I threw my grandparents' ashes off a similar cliff near Brighton - and I only dicovered later it's the suicide capital of the UK. I felt pretty bad about that. Catch you on Skype soon hopefully. cheers / G