Saturday 18 February 2017

Mermaid Falls

My final hike in Sydney was the Mermaid Falls, about an hour drive south of Sydney. We hiked along a river into a canyon, with some great rock formations and views from the top of the canyon as well.




 At Mermaid falls, Graeme contemplates the jump into the pool. There is no easy way down, and getting back out of the pool looked very difficult and a bit dangerous, so we wisely decided to not jump in.



 View from the top


 We walked right past this echidna and so stood close by for quite a while waiting for him to move, but he was really shy.

 This section of the river was really clogged up with weeds.

 Great spot for reflection photos.












With about an hour left to go on the hike, while just starting the climb out of the canyon, a rock I was standing on gave way, and I crashed onto a rock with my thigh hitting it at high speed, and then my head hitting the rock below (but luckily very lightly - I think if he head had hit with the force my leg did, I could well have been killed)
My leg swelled up incredibly over the next few days, and when I got back to London, I had to have an operation and spend 4 days in hospital!
But, as least I got a lovely stroll in :)

No comments: