Thursday 15 August 2013

Chamonix - Via Ferrata

For the last 1.5 - 2 years, I have been wanting to go Via Ferrataing.  Vie Ferrata means Iron Way, and was founded by the Italians in the Dolomites during the war, as a way of getting the troops easily across difficult mountain ranges.
There are metal rings and such drilled into the rocks, with a cable running along the route. You wear a harness with 2 flexible cords which are clipped into the cable, and whenever you reach a joint you have to clip off and on with each cord to get past the joint.
A nice easy way for getting some extreme heights and thrills with minimum of hassle and danger!

 the girls get ready for action!

 Starting the route
 Long way down!

Mountain man!


Look Ma, no hands!

 Crossing a single wire suspension cable, directly onto a tricky leaning back section - I took a photo from where those 2 are standing on the left, and that has overtaken my "Morroccan riding-on-a-camel-trying-to-take-a-photo-with-one-hand-while-making-sure-the-pin-does-not-fall-out" as the trickiest photo I have yet taken.

See http://russellgowlett.blogspot.co.uk/search/label/Morrocco if the above confuses you.

 The above mentioned photo - I think it came out well! Look at that thin wire!
I shall call this photo the "standing-on-a-tiny-plank-1km-above-anything-while-leaning-back-and-around-while-trying-not-drop-my-camera-to-a-spectacular-death" photo.

Look Ma, I only need one leg!

 An even tricker cable to cross - this one only has 1 wire to hold on, not 2, so you needed to lean into the cable over thin air to stop the wire from wobbling.

 Ooh, a nice thin plank to cross!

 Look Ma, no hands again!








 Getting near the end.

 About 15 m from the top, after about 3 hours on the cliff face, some guy called Simon in the group in front of us was crying out that he had no strength left and couldn't hold on anymore. "You can do it Simon", we shouted, but alas he couldn't and indeed just fell. So here we are relaxing in the shade while his guide and our guide pulled him up step by step to the top!
Funny, he looked like a fit young chap!


Thats a long way down! Heading up the section Simon fell on.

 You can do it, Charlotte!

    View from the top

 Intrepid Photographer!



1 comment:

Graeme said...

Oh my God, I can't believe I missed this post until now (I've been going through your old French posts.) Flipping hek, I would have been flipping out! Can't believe you were so composed, you managed to take good photos too!!!